Thursday, October 4, 2012

{sweet} poe-tay-toe, puh-tah-toe

Not only have I been on an apple kick, but I've been devouring quite a few sweet potatoes on the weekly too. I had some left over baked sweet potatoes from a previous dinner, and was going to make sweet potato hummus with it, but I decided on a sweet potato patty instead. This was super simple, healthy, and  delicious. 

Sweet potato & brown rice burger

Ingredients:
2 c cooked and cooled brown rice (so 1 c dry, cook at least an hour before you plan on making patties)
1/2 small onion chopped
2 baked sweet potatoes (peel off skin once baked, again I used leftovers from the night before but you could bake them whenever you cook your rice)
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tbsp dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Pour all ingredients into a mixing bowl
Form into patties (if mixture seems a little too dry add a dash of water) and place on cookie sheet.
Bake for about 20 minutes.
And as always, enjoy! 
I served mine on top of sauteed collard greens, just de-stemmed and cooked in a little olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Or just toss it on a bun with all of your favorite burger toppings (Avocado and Dijon pairs beautifully with this patty).

Even after baked sweet potatoes, and this sweet potato patty I had a few leftover uncooked sweet potatoes to use up. Some how I managed to dream about what I was going to do with those left over sweet potatoes. True story. Seriously nerdy, I am very aware. And so bazaar...my obsession with food had yet to go so far as to over take my dreams...but alas it has. I need help. Or perhaps not because this dream ended up a very nice reality. Anyways, I dreamt that I woke up and made hash browns out of my sweet potatoes, so guess what I did...woke up and made hash browns out of sweet potatoes. Imagine that;)
They were scrumptious. Parker was grateful for a yummy breakfast, and I was grateful that I was able to send him to school with a belly full of fibrous complex carbs to fuel his body and brain. 
All I did to create this was peel and shred 3 small sweet potatoes, chop 1/4 a small onion, and throw it in a pan with probably about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat. Once they began to sizzle I added 1 minced garlic clove, Himalayan salt, & pepper. Stir occasionally until I reached desired texture. Squeezed just a touch of lemon juice on top. Sweet and savory. Because I made these instead my green smoothie I wrapped my hash browns in a large piece of organic Romaine lettuce. NOM NOM NOM. 


I wonder what I'll dream up next!

Thanks to their high nutritional value sweet potatoes are wonderful for your skin, immune system, digestive tract, and blood sugar levels. They can even be helpful in alleviating muscle cramps and tension during times of high stress thanks to the potassium levels. For a few more fun facts read this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment