Wednesday, October 3, 2012

It's a fall fiasco!

I haven't posted since my previous rant...I guess I wanted that to simmer with you for a bit;)
Totally kidding, kind of. Actually I've just been a busy bee...out of town living it up in Cali for the weekend. You know the usual beach adventures, kayaking, swimming with sea lions, cave explorations... So much fun! And then Monday I was slapped in the face with reality... it was my week to host the rotating in home preschool I do with some of the neighbors first thing in the morning and had to squeeze my workout in at 5 am, laundry and unpacking had to be done, then my daughter had dance class in the afternoon, and my parents had gotten us tickets to see the Disney play Aladdin at the Tuacahn Amphitheater Monday night. So yesterday everything caught up to me- it was like jet lag, I got in my morning workout, and some cleaning then some baking, but didn't quite have enough in me to blog it as well. Today, however, I am feeling almost myself again...had an awesome morning hosting preschool again (in which we Baked some [healthy & vegan, but the kids loved it regardless] Blueberry Banana Bread in honor of the letter B-recipe to come soon), then a 2 mile run with my son this afternoon because he's got a fun run at his school next week, a 5k fundraiser for his school in 3 weeks, then the color me rad 5k with me next month. Now I can finally post my new Apple Oat bar recipe that I perfected yesterday. These are superb...and very fall-ish...as you can probably tell I'm still trying to use up the 50 pound case of Apples we got over a week ago. We've gone through several quarts of fresh made juices, apple crisps, "ant piles" (apples with peanut butter and raisins) with my preschoolers, apple salads, and now apple oat bars, but we still have plenty to spare! Let me know what your favorite recipes are!
This was my first try last week, absolutely heavenly taste but I had to adjust the binding ingredients to get it to hold together a little better.

Apple Oat Bars

Ingredients:
1/2 c coconut oil
1/2 c agave or honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c applesauce
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp flax meal (I ground my own in the blender)
3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c oat flour (again I ground my own in the blender)
1/2 c rolled oats
2 apples- peeled and diced
a handful or two of pecans or walnuts

Yesterday success....held together beautifully without adjusting the flavor!
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Put flax meal and 3 tbsp of water in bowl first. Let soak just for a couple minutes (I let it soak while I ground up my oats in the blender to make my oat flour). Then slowly stir in the remainder of ingredients adding the diced apples and nuts for last.
Pour into either a greased square 8x8 pan, or a greased 9" round cake pan.
Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes. Toothpick test to be sure it is done.

This is what it should look like when it's done, just golden around the edges.
Check out my previous post here to learn about the health benefits of incorporating plenty of apples to your diet. Oats have been proven to have a positive effect on the heart, they are also helpful in maintaining healthy weight, along with blood sugar and blood pressure levels. The phytochemicals in oats act as an anti-cancer. Oats area great source of well balanced protein which everyone can use, but for the athlete the healthy complex carbs combined with this protein can increase performance when consumed about an hour before a workout! 


My boy and I post run today. He's a champ!

If my 5 year old can get out and run 2 miles, you can get up and get moving one way or another. Be an example. Tell that little voice in your head that says "you can't do it, or you're too busy, or you're too tired" to SHUT UP! Nike style- JUST DO IT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment