Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Introducing me!

HOWDY! The name is Nikki. I am new to the blogging world so please forgive my errors of all varieties, as I am sure there will be many! I have had many of my close friends and family request that I start a blog and load it up with my fun nutritional facts, recipes, favorite work outs, ect. So get pumped, because I am jumping into this thing head first! I am excited...NO, I AM ECSTATIC, to share my knowledge and passion for healthy living with the world (well, the blogging world at least- it's a start). I am going to share my advice on how to eat clean, train mean, and get lean! I feel it important to start with a little selfish insert about ME, before we switch gears and focus on you.

This was me....2 years ago. This was about 6 months after having my second child.


This is me...NOW!


I went from weighing 135 to 105. I went from never running over a mile in my life to running marathons. I went from being depressed to happy. I went from self conscious to confident. I went from chronically fatigued to bursting at the seems with energy. I went from over 26% body fat, to 17%. I went from never working out, to working out 6 days a week. I went from not knowing how to cook anything that didn't come from a box to becoming an innovator of gourmet healthy meals composed of whole foods. I went from not knowing or caring what a calorie was, to obtaining a personal training certification through NASM. And now my next certification will be in holistic nutrition and health coaching. I am a completely new Nikki, and not just physically. This wasn't a 3 month fad diet. This was a lifestyle change. It took baby steps, determination, sweat, perseverance, and time. BUT HOW SWEET THE REWARD. I had no idea that, what started as just a weight loss venture, would change my entire demeanor and perception on life. I want others to feel how I feel. I want others to know what I know. I didn't know how gloomy life really was until I experienced the light on the other side. NOW I WANT TO SPREAD THIS LIGHT AND MAKE THE WHOLE WORLD SHINE. SOOO WITH THAT SAID- LET'S GET TO WORK!

I'll start with a simple delicious recipe today. These are my new favorite snack!


CANDIED CARROT STRIPS

5 medium carrots (washed, peeled, remove stem)
1/4 c coconut oil (could sub olive oil)
3 heaping TBSP of organic Agave nectar (or raw honey)
2 tsp of cinnamon
2 tsp of garlic
dash of ginger & nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350
Wash, slice, destem carrots and cut length wise with knife or mandoline slicer, if you have one, for more even strips. Place carrot strips on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Stir all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper in bowl until well blended then brush it evenly over carrots. You might have to flip the carrots a time or two to ensure both sides are evenly coated. Then salt and pepper lightly to taste.
Throw it in the oven for about 45 minutes- flipping carrots over once about halfway through.

ENJOY! These are the perfect balance of sweet and savory, chewy with a touch of crunch.

FUN NUTRITIONAL FACT ABOUT CARROTS: Carrots are pretty much the only vegitable that become better for you once cooked. Although you lose the enzymes once cooked, it breaks down their protective barrier releasing a much more potent dose of beta carotene. Beta carotene is one of those rock-star, cure-all antioxidants our body needs to fight off free radicals. It boosts the immune system and vision, while lowering risk of heart disease, cancers, and diabetes. What's not to love about Carrots!

3 comments:

  1. Nikki you have always been beautiful, but now you GLOW! I am so proud of you for starting this blog. It will definitely inspire and motivate. Thanks for being an awesome example of a healthy, active sexayyyy mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a transformation!! As I sit here with my fat 8 month pregnant butt you are making me super jealous : ) I am going to love this blog! I am totally on board with this kind of stuff. We have done a major eating overhaul in our home over the last couple years. I'm pretty sure babysitters hate us cause we have no "ready made" food for them to eat while they are here, lol. Anyway, excited for the blog!

    ReplyDelete