Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Cabbage Rampage...Really, Nikki?

Growing up, the only recollection I have of consuming cabbage was annually on St. Patricks Day. Once I became a Mother- seeing as I don't eat beef, that tradition died hard... The only consumption of cabbage for my kids and I was maybe the occasional mayonnaise loaded store bought cole slaw at a church function. But, NEVER would I buy it or make it on my own mostly because I just never knew much about the stuff. Turns out, I was a deprived child (I still love you Mom)!

My own lack of know how growing up, leads me to this blog post. HOLD ON TO YOUR TROUSERS PEOPLE, I AM ABOUT TO EXPOSE CABBAGE...AND ALL OF IT'S GLORY! Not only that, but I will share with you my favorite ways to use and eat cabbage- YUMMMM! Let's begin with how I discovered cabbage and why I swear by it. The beginning of this last winter both of my darling children came down with a nasty cough. They had no other symptoms, aside from the occasional nose drainage, so it wasn't worth a trip to the Doctors. I generally try to avoid them when possible. This wasn't any old cough, cough. This was a -keep Mommy and babies up all night, every night, lingering for 4 weeks- type of obnoxious cough. During all of this, I made a trip to the library with the kids one day and decided to grab me a book on health, as I generally tend to do. I found a book called "Super Foods for Children" by Michael Van Straten and Barbara Griggs. I checked it out and started reading it. I couldn't put it down. It broke down vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, explaining how our body utilizes them. Then it proceeded to pick apart super foods and explain their healing power and benefits particularly in children throughout different age groups and developmental stages. TOTALLY AWESOME, RIGHT?! (Ahh, This blog is totally exposing me in all my nerdy-ness) Moving on, I got to cabbage and a little light bulb went off. I ran to the Farmers Market that day and bought a monster head of cabbage (amongst other super foods we frequently keep stocked that we were running low on, like berries and mangoes). I brought it home and went to work. I was determined to overdose my kids on earth's natural goodness and cure this cough! I fed my kids cabbage for 3 days, and I swear to you that dreadful, nasty, no good, month long cough vanished. So now let me fill you in on the Whys and How's!

This is why cabbage rocks: Cabbage can be used to fight against and cure constipation, stomach ulcers, headache, excess weight, skin disorders, eczema, jaundice, scurvy, rheumatism, arthritis, eye disorders, heart diseases, ageing, Alzheimer's disease, colds, coughs, and cancers (particularly lung and colon). Here is why...Are you ready: Cabbage is loaded with calcium, iron, iodine, magnesium, potassium, sulfur, and phosphorus. In the vitamins department, it is filled with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, E, K and folic acid. Not to mention it is a great source of dietary fiber and Omega 3's! I wonder why they call it a super food? No wonder it zapped my kids cough. Here is the really cool part, I know I just said it has vitamin C BUT IT IS RICHER IN VITAMIN C THAN ORANGES. YEPP! We all know this antioxidant is one of the most important as it boosts our immune system and rids the body of free radicals. Now Sulphur? In food? Helps us? Yes, sir! Sulphur fights infection. Who knew?! It's the combination of sulphur and vitamin C that makes cabbage a great detoxifier, enabling it to purify blood and get rid of those nasty toxins that frequently make us sick. Detoxing doesn't just cleanse the digestional tract like the intestines & liver, it also clears out the chest and mucus membranes, ect. Cool, yes?!

Are you overwhelmed yet? Let's get to the question I know you all are wondering ;-) HOW ON EARTH DID I GET MY KIDS TO EAT CABBAGE?! 

Naturally, I experimented with a mayonnaise-free cole slaw...it rocked!!! I know it rocked because my daughter ate it for 3 days straight for lunch. However, you will have to wait on that recipe.

Cabbage is relatively bland when juiced SO sneaky me, I added a couple leaves when I made their beloved carrot apple juice. They never knew!!!

Lastly, I MADE CABBAGE ROLLS! In the crock pot. AND THEY WERE DEVOURED BY MY KIDS. and husband. oh and myself too. SERIOUSLY GOOD!
Did I mention they were easy? Maybe 10 minutes prep time.
CABBAGE ROLLS
1 head of cabbage
1 pound defrosted lean ground turkey
1 packet of french onion soup mix
1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of wild or brown rice
1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
1 16 oz can of natural chicken broth

Peel off 8 large cabbage leafs...stick in large microwavable bowl with a touch of water in the bottom and microwave for about a minute until slightly tender (bendable, do not over cook).
Combine turkey, french onion soup mix, tomato sauce, and rice in bowl. Put a large spoonful of turkey mixture into cabbage leaf, and roll. Place seam side down in crock pot. (They don't have to be perfect) Once all leafs are rolled, pour undrained can of tomatoes in juice on top along with the can of chicken broth. (Also, if there is any turkey mixture left feel free to pour on top, and I like to thinly slice extra cabbage and sprinkle on top as well- both optional).
Cook for about 6 hours on low. EAT IT UP!

6 comments:

  1. Juice ideas?? Other than carrot apple...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're jumping the gun Amber! I plan on doing an entire spread on my favorite juice recipes probably at the end of next week, because I will be doing a 3-5 day juice detox and will be sharing my experiences and recipes.

      But to give you some ideas without giving away the exact recipes just yet, cucumber melon makes a fabulous juice. And for an all veggie juice that is palletable I make a "tomatoe soup juice" and eat it like a soup instead of drinking it like a juice! But shhhh... keep it on the DL ;-P

      Delete
  2. Hi Nikki! I'm Kristina's mom. I saw Chris' plug for your blog on Facebook and am so glad I came to check it out. I look forward to reading more and trying out some of your recipes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!!! I look forward to getting your feedback! And congrats Grandma, Addison is beautiful!!!

      Delete
  3. I should probably add that the rice should be UNCOOKED in this recipe. It cooks along with everything else in the crock pot from the juices and broth:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the cabbage rolls! And love the blog!

    ReplyDelete