Monday, September 24, 2012

You know what they say about an apple a day!

This week was the official beginning of fall. Our mornings here are getting cooler (making them ideal for running), the leaves are starting to look more yellow than green, my tea kettle is back in business, and even more exciting is that apples are everywhere! This weekends produce basket there was an option to purchase a 50 pound case of apples...you better believe we were all over that!
Aren't they lovely?! Anyways, the question is what to do with all these apples...naturally, juices and smoothies are a MUST. I was thinking of making my pie but sometimes I go a little overboard and eat too many slices in a single sitting when I go that route, if you catch my drift. A few friends suggested a crisp...which essentially is just a lighter version of a pie...perfect solution, and an excellent way to really get into the fall spirit! OHH, and it's SIMPLE!!! Ding ding ding- we have a winner!

This is so "good for you" that I allowed my son to eat it for breakfast this morning (although mostly because he had to go to bed before it was done baking so I had to bribe him a little)! First words out of his mouth when he woke up..."Did you save me dessert for breakfast?"
It took a lot of discipline for my entire family to stop eating it, in order to save some for him. 

Apple crisp
Filling Ingredients:
8 peeled and thinly sliced apples
4 Tbsp of raw honey or agave
3 tsp whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp lemon juice

Crumble Ingredients:
2/3 c rolled oats
2/3 whole wheat flour
1/2 c pecans
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c coconut oil
1/2 c raw honey or agave
1 tbsp water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix together apples with the rest of the filling ingredients, toss until evenly coated (I place my apples into a bowl with the lemon juice as I slice them to reduce oxidation discoloration, then once I'm done slicing I toss in the remainder of the ingredients). If you like your filling a little thicker feel free to add 1-2 tsp of corn starch.
In separate bowl mix your dry ingredients for the crumble, then add your oil and honey or agave, and mix until evenly coated and a nice crumble forms.
Next pour your filling mixture into a 11 x 8 baking dish, then evenly distribute your crumbles on top.
(I would suggest doubling the recipe and putting it in a 13x9 pan, you'll want the extra because this recipe really only serves 4, maybe 5) 



It should look a little something like that.

Then bake for 40 minutes.
It should look a little something like this when it's done.

or this...

Eat without feeling in the least bit guilty.
Want to know why?!

Because an apple a day keeps the doctor away! That's not just some old saying...there is some serious truth to that. The Vitamins (particularly C) & flavenoids in apples provide bone protection, and have been proven to seriously decrease your risk of lung, breast, colon, and liver cancers. They aid in weight loss, maintain blood sugar levels, increase heart health, and assist in the prevention of asthma and even Alzheimer's. It's the perfect 100 calorie snack! 

Until next time...Eat clean, train mean, and stay lean!

Much peace & love,
Simple Healthy Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment