Tuesday, August 14, 2012

3.14159265359...aka PI(E)!!!!


My birthday is next week (cough cough, on the 22nd, cough cough). Not that birthday's are all that important anymore... just a celebration on behalf of the fact that I'm another year closer to wrinkles and a cane. Let me just throw this out there though, if I ever need a cane, it's going to be one stylish old lady cane...I'm thinking hot pink, and BEDAZZLED ;)
 I do not look forward to aging, which is why I eat in the way that I do. I have a say in how gracefully I age, so I eat as clean as I possibly can ensure a future of longevity. 

So back to the birthday (cough cough, I'll accept donations or a new car, cough, cough)... we always do a large family gathering with a dinner chosen by the birthday girl. So everyone was wondering what on earth does a vegan want for their birthday dinner, because obviously mac-n-cheese and ice cream cake (which would've been my top choices when I was oblivious to healthy eating alternatives) are out of the question. 
I knew from the get-go that my thanksgiving whole wheat, sugar-free, pie would be my dessert of choice. The remainder of the vegan menu is still being decided however I'm leaning towards Italian- possibly a salad, bruschetta, and gnocchi...oh yeah, get excited for those possible blog posts.  
I hadn't made my pie since thanksgiving, and I didn't note the exact recipe I used, and I promised this post months ago to a few of my avid readers, so all of those things resulted in a manditory "practice run". As if I really needed a fourth excuse to make and eat pie, my friend, Niya was in town visiting her family, and the last 3 times she has come in town she has asked me to make my pie again and I haven't been able to accommodate her request. This weekend I had plenty of time, so to work I went. And I won't 'sugar' coat it (pun intended), it's a little labor intensive...it's not difficult, it just takes time. IT'S SO WORTH IT THOUGH!


Apple Raspberry Whole Wheat Pie


Crust Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c. of softened coconut oil
approx. 1/2 c. cold water

(2 tbsp of soy or almond milk and extra stevia and cinnamon for top crust)

Filling Ingredients:
about 5 medium apples
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 heaping tbsp of honey
1/2 c stevia in the raw
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries

 Directions:
Mix dry  crust ingredients and coconut oil with fork until evenly distributed and crumbs form. Then add water a little bit at a time, mixing well until you get a pliable ball of dough. Mine took exactly 1/2 cup, some might take a little less depending on the flour, so add slowly until you get desired dough. Split your ball of dough into 2 balls of dough.

Put a couple drops of water on a clean counter top then put a piece of wax paper down on top of the water, it prevents the wax paper from sliding around. Roll out dough onto wax paper using a floured rolling pin or second piece of wax paper on top until you get a large enough circle (rip and shape as necessary). Take entire wax paper off the counter and flip into greased pie pan and shape accordingly, as pictured below.


Repeat process with second ball of dough, but cut a couple slits on the top crust as pictured below. 



Set the top crust aside and begin on the filling. 
Peel, core, and thinly slice apples (I have a handy dandy spiral machine that does this for me). Toss your peeled, sliced apples in a bowl with lemon juice, then add and toss together remainder of filling ingredients (gently folding in raspberries last). 
Pour filling into your pie pan.


Place top crust on top, again by flipping entire wax paper on top, then press edges together with fork. Spread milk on top, then sprinkle a little extra stevia and cinnamon. 



Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, then drop temperature down to 350 and continue cooking for about another 30 minutes. 



Remove pie, let cool several hours before eating.




Then my favorite part:
INDULGE GUILTLESSLY!

You could interchange your favorite berry in this pie...blackberry or blueberry with the apple would be delightful as well. 

Most people are aware that berries are extremely rich in antioxidants, making them super foods. It's these antioxidants that fight off the free radicals that are responsible for disease and aging. Want to stay healthy and young...eat your PIE!  

No comments:

Post a Comment