Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pumpkin pancakes!

I know I've said this before- I LOVE breakfast! Seriously, my favorite meal of the day. I get up extra early so that I have time to 'make' breakfast for myself and my kids after I get home from the gym and before I have to send my son off to school. Fall is getting me in a mood, and so I've been getting all apple crazy on you guys...well there has been a slight shift...now I'm getting all pumpkin crazy! Not a bad thing though, seeing as pumpkins are actually uber healthy as long as they aren't paired with significant amounts of refined sugars...which is why I am here! I'll get you through the holidays without all the unnecessary weight gain if you use my recipes to indulge and just say no to all the extra cookies, pies, and breads that will surely wind up on your door step. Being vegan makes it easy to just say no because I know not only are those goodies laden with sugars that I refuse to drug my body with, but they are also loaded with dairy, which I choose not to consume. So there isn't any thinking involved. I've committed. So draw yourself clear lines now, what are you going to avoid entirely, and what are you going to allow? What are you going to do when you are wanting a treat? Ooooo, ooooo, I know...make yourself some apple crispsapple oat barsbanana chocolate chip cookieszucchini bread, or make yourself some bomb-diggity pumpkin pancakes! Seriously though, when there are so many options, why choose the high consumption of sugars, fats, and refined grains that will only make you feel awful in the end, when you have just as tasty, whole grain, nutrition loaded, sugarless options to run with!
I GOTCHYO BACK! (<--totally proper English)

 Okay, back to these pancakes...In my book, pancakes are not at all limited to just breakfast. However, these were breakfast today. I had to modify them a little as I went along because the batter seemed a little runny and not so pumpkin-eeee. The end result was perfect! Less than 100 calories a pop, less than 1 gram of fat, but incredibly satiating! I ate 2 of them over 3 hours ago and I'm not in the slightest bit hungry yet. I even worked out this morning and my metabolism is on overtime, and I'm still perfectly content... usually I'm on my 3rd breakfast by now;).  My bottom-less pit of a son ate 3 of them this morning. The extra perk I got out of making these was not only did I send a very smiley-happy (and healthy) little boy off to school but  I got a "Thank you Mommy for making me pancakes for breakfast, you're the best cooker!" 

Pumpkin Pancakes:
Ingredients:
3 c whole wheat flour
2 1/2 c water
1/2 c non-dairy milk (almond or coconut, I went with coconut this morning)
3/4 c organic canned pumpkin
2 TBSP baking powder
2 TBSP stevia 
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Mix the non-dairy milk with apple cider vinegar, and let it sit for 5 minutes (this is a buttermilk substitute)
Then mix the pumpkin, water, vanilla, spices, salt, stevia with the milk-vinegar solution.
Slowly add in your flour, baking soda, and baking powder, until well mixed. Let the batter set for 5 minutes, then stir gently and allow to sit for 5 minutes more. Preheat your griddle or pan, medium to medium-high heat. 
I used a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop and pour the batter. Flipping once there are bubbles all over the pancake. 
This made about 16 pancakes.

Instead of just regular syrup, I blended 1 apple (cored), 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 c grade B maple syrup, 1 tbsp coconut oil, and blended. I added 1 tbsp of water at a time while it was blending until I reached desired consistency. I slopped this all over my plate with my pancakes, and sprinkled pecans on top!

Seriously, pumpkin, apples, cinnamon, and pecans...all in the same dish? I'm not obsessed with fall flavors or anything.
Okay, so pumpkin is AWESOME. I actually wasn't just referring to the flavor. Pumpkin is super nutritious, and naturally low in calories and fat (again given that it's not paired with serious amounts of icky sugars)! Pumpkin is a powerhouse of anti-oxidant vitamins (A, C, & E). In fact, it features one of the highest levels of vitamin A in all of the cucurbitaceae family, 246 % of our recommended daily value to be precise! Vitamin A is a natural antioxidant that is needed to maintain healthy skin, eyes, and mucus membranes.  Research suggests that it also helps the body protect again lung & oral cavity cancers. Pumpkins are also a good source of B-complex vitamins (folates, niacin, B-6, and thiamin), and minerals like copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. So get your pumpkin fill while it's in season, just do it the healthy way- like by eating pancakes (muahahahah)!

Don't quit, your body will thank you!
Much peace & love,
Simply-healthy-Nikki



No comments:

Post a Comment