Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Stuff me some peppers!

 Oh la la life. It's getting exciting around here. A lot of change going on! My husband accepted a job offer in Florida, which is my home. Born and raised Floridian, but I have really learned to love these mountains, and the culture. Such an active lifestyle exists here, I think Utah is ranked as the 4th most active state out of the 50, and Florida is ranked as THE most depressed state in America. That statistic alone is enough to make me depressed- I am going to miss that support and motivation that the atmosphere here gives me. BUT for all my Floridian homies, I AM BRINGING THIS CULTURE TO YOU! They say dream big, right? Well, my dream is to reverse those stats completely-one city at a time. Let's get people active, let's get them outdoors, let's teach them what "GOOD" food is all about, let's get them exploring past the societies "norms", let's bring the demand for an active healthy lifestyle. WHO'S WITH ME?!?!
My husband will be out there for a couple months without the kids and I, but once I get there I would really like to start holding weekly boot camps, putting together running/walking clubs (for all levels), tennis matches, cycling groups, and possibly even hosting the occasional cooking class in my kitchen. If any of you Floridians would be interested in participating in any of these, comment below and let me know!!! I am VERY aware that starting on an unfamiliar path to health and wellness can be scary without the proper tour guide. I can make your experience comfortable and not so intimidating! If you don't know where to start, I can help! Seriously, all levels welcome. LET'S DO THIS!

Okay, so enough about that...let's get to the goods. These stuffed peppers were phenomenal! So good, in fact, that I made just the stuffing in a large batch to take to our block party the following day. This is an excellent high protein meal, and it is loaded, and I mean LOADED with veggies of all varieties.

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers:
Ingredients:
3-4 large red pepper halved lengthwise and deseeded
2 tbsp olive oil
3 ribs of celery finely chopped
2-3 large carrots grated
1/2 small onion finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 bunch of greens chopped (I used collards, spinach or chard would work too)
1 can of black beans-drained and rinsed
3/4 c quinoa
2 c vegetable broth
about 2 cups of your favorite tomato soup (I used an organic creamy garden tomato soup)

Directions:
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, greens, cumin and garlic and saute until veggies are tender and greens are withered. Then add your beans quinoa and 2 cups of vegetable broth, cover and cook for about 20 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. 
Once quinoa is tender, add 1/2 c of tomato soup to the quinoa mixture. Stuff your peppers, placing them into a baking dish then pour the remaining tomato soup on and around peppers as pictured below.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

An optional add on: I sprinkled nutritional yeast on top of mine before baking.

The finished result. YUMMM. This dish has a very nice southwestern type of feel!



Here is just some inspiration food for thought. Yesterday I went to whole foods in Vegas before picking up my husband from the airport. He flew home for a couple weeks before his new job begins. I was starving and had a hankering for something sweet so I grabbed this raw vegan lemon cheesecake-which was awesome- and when I picked it up to take a bite, I found this wonderful and applicable piece of advice. 
Live life to the fullest. You are in control, even when you think you're not. Fill your life with positivity and your results will be just as positive!

Much love,
Simply-Healthy-Nikki

2 comments:

  1. I swear, it is the weather. If I lived in Utah or Colorado or Wyoming, I would be outside every day. Here, you can't even walk to your car without sweating like you ran a few miles.
    That said, I'm excited for you to come to Florida again! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE workout sessions or bootcamps with you, as well as cooking classes. You've been such a great "tour guide" already from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will learn to suck it up together. Run rain or shine, hot or cold, humid or dry. (Early mornings will help too). And GREAT, I will be keeping everyone posted when I get things set up! Get excited Cait!!!!!!!

      Delete