Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pumpkin cookies

In the documentary "Hungry for a Change" it explains how dopamine (a feel good hormone) is released when sugar is digested. And as with other drugs, the more regularly you consume sugar, the more sugar it takes in order to get the same dopamine "high". Which explains why we continue to crave and consume more and more and more of refined sugar as a society. Ever since I have cut out all refined sugar from my diet, I find that I don't crave or even care for super rich, super sweet things. That's not to say that I don't get the occasional sweet tooth, not to mention I love baking. I usually get my sweet tooth fix with fresh or dried fruit, smoothies, and I bake up a "dessert" one to two times a week for fun. But my baked goods are all made from whole, clean, plant-based ingredients. I consider them guilt-free indulgences. They are sweet enough to completely fix my hankering, but not so sweet that it's sickening.
I've been dying to try a vegan pumpkin cookie for a couple weeks now, so I'm excited to report my successful results. You can thank my "healthy" sweet tooth;)
These pumpkin cookies hit the spot this week. And I swear if it's possible they got even better the next day. The texture is enough moisture and chewiness but without being too dense. Very pumpkiny but not too rich, with the occasional chocolate chip to give it the perfect balance of sweetness.

 Pumpkin Cookies:
Ingredients:
(Dry)
1 1/4 c rolled oats
1 1/4 c whole wheat
1 c organic coconut sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp baking powder
(Wet)
2 tsp flax seeds in 1/3 c warm water
1 tsp vanilla
1 c pumpkin puree
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2-4 tbsp coconut oil

3/4 c vegan chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl.
Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix under well combined. Fold in chocolate chips, then allow batter to sit in the fridge for 15 minutes before forming balls and placing them onto a greased cookie sheet. 
Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove immediately from cookie sheet and onto cooling rack for 5 minutes. 
Serve warm with a glass of almond milk.

You can even dunk it if you'd like...which I mean seriously, who doesn't LOVE their cookies saturated in milk?!

And because these store well, and taste just as incredible the next day, feel free to double the batch and share with your favorite neighbors over the holidays!

As I stated earlier, one of my cure apps for my sweet tooth is this smoothie right here:
When I picked my husband up from the airport a few days ago I made a run to whole foods for some of the goodies that I can only seem to fin there...which include raw maca powder (click here to find out more about maca) and cacao powder (click here to find out more about cacao). These are both mineral dense ingredients that add fantastic flavor to any smoothie or baked good.
1/2 c almond milk
1 banana
1 c spinach or arugula
1 tsp maca powder
1 tbsp cacao powder
Dash of cinnamon
5-6 ice cubes
(If I'm having this post workout I add chocolate vegan protein powder, either rice protein or sun warrior)

And a just because juice! We had 20 pounds of carrots, and a large paper bag loaded with some local apples we picked...so naturally we made a ton of carrot-apple juice, and just as naturally it got guzzled within 24 hours.

-much peace & love-
Simply-Healthy-Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment