Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Healthy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone! 
I've really gotten in the Halloween spirit this year. The ages of my kids I think has something to do with it...they are old enough to understand the festivities so it's a fun and exciting time for them which has clearly rubbed off on me. However, I am not a fan of the extensive amounts of candy given out. Yuck! Luckily my kids won't eat themselves into a candy coma because they know the side effects of doing so. Parker came home from school today and was like "Mom, all I want today is this pack of M&M's...and then I want a salad for lunch so I can be healthy too." And that's more or less what he did, he put the remaining candy away, and he is going to sell it to the Pediatric Dentist office for money. Totally his doing, not mine...but obviously it makes me proud! Last year I had the kids pick out their favorite candy and redistributed the rest. Explore the options available in your area, if you don't want all that candy lingering in your pantry for months!

For breakfast this morning I carved out an apple and stuffed it with flax oatmeal, peanut butter, and agave for my kids. They LOVED it and called it "apple brains"! One healthy & festive meal down.

I think colorful cauliflower is awesome so I picked up 2 bunches the other day. What better day to make them on than Halloween. I steamed them, mashed them, and seasoned them with a little garlic, vegetable base, salt, and pepper. Then I topped them with some seasoned black beans. Orange and black mash for lunch. The kids and I scarfed them down (this was my sons "salad"). The fiber content in the beans is wonderful for cleansing the fat laden colon during Halloween;)

For dinner our neighbor made Chili for us. But shoot, I don't eat meat and they know this. So what did they do...they are making a special bowl of Veggi chili just for me! SWEETEST THING EVER! I am so grateful! Also just proof that if you make your healthy lifestyle known that people hae no problem attempting to tend to your lifestyle. And when they don't it just takes a little prep- like eating before you hit up the dinner party or whatever. No need to starve, or cave in and eat something that you'll feel guilty about later.

Anyways getting to the good stuff. This is the first thing I've put on my Thanksgiving Day Vegan feast menu! NO ONE could tell this was vegan! It rocked!

(SIMPLE) Pumpkin Pie!
For the crust I used my whole wheat crust recipe found here, but I did half the recipe because I didn't need the top crust, and I added 1 tablespoon of sevia (optional) and 2 extra tablespoons of coconut oil, so I didn't have to add as much water. If you don't feel like putting in the work (although it is SO worth it) you can also purchase a premade unbaked pie crust of choice. 

Ingredients for filling:
1 can organic pumpkin pie filling 
1/2 c pure maple syrup (I only use grade B)
1 package of silken soft tofu (my package was 12 oz but I only used about 10 oz)
1/2 tsp salt

(Yep! That's it, 4 ingredients because the pie filling already has the seasonings)
Directions:
Make crust according to directions (if making home made).
Preheat oven to 425.
 Pour all ingredients into mixing bowl, blend with emersion blender or beaters until smooth (pouring it into a blender and pureeing would work too).


Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 60-70 minutes. You will know it's done when a toothpick stuck in the center of the pie comes out clean, your pie will jiggle a little still and that's okay, as long as your toothpick came out clean.

Let cool for several hours before serving. I let mine cool at room temperature for an hour before covering and refrigerating until dessert time!



The finished product!


Served with a dollop of Organic Vanilla Rice Dream!


Just another one to make your mouth water!
Who says taste is sacrificed in order to eat healthy?! LIES I TELL YOU!

Enjoy your holiday season the clean, simple, happy, and healthy way!

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to try out some of your recipes. Thanks for sharing! You can follow my progress toward better health at http://skinnytastesbest.blogspot.com/

    Thanks again for all your tips and for helping me get motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!!! So I am trying this out this weekend BUT I am also trying this dairy free whipped cream recipe and I thought I would shoot it your way because it is a fraction of the price of a tub (and by tub, I mean 2 cups worth haha) of frozen ricedream. http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/30/coconut-whipped-cream-a-step-by-step-photo-tutorial/

    It is used from coconut milk so if you don't like that then it may not be good for you but by the time you add some vanilla, it may not taste that tropical...who knows? haha

    ReplyDelete