Thursday, August 23, 2012

Morning Glory



Not a morning person? I would highly advise becoming one...you're missing out on such a beautiful and lively part of the day. For me, becoming a morning person involved creating a routine...oh and will power- yes, lots of will power! When my alarm rings... I, very literally, mentally battle it out between my head and my body, eventually prying my face from my pillow and heading for the kitchen as fast as I can before I have time to change my mind. I start my day with a large glass of cold water, often with a little lemon in it, to rehydrate and jump start my day. Then it's off on a run or to the gym. When I get home I enjoy making a smoothie, and sipping it on the balcony while stretching and watching the sun rise. Even though our summer days out here in the desert are miserably hot (110 degrees sucks), our mornings are still cooler and crisp... so that fresh air is invigorating especially paired with the roosters crowing, the birds chirping,  and the cows across the gorge start humming along too. It's my morning symphony! Then I get to shower and dress all before my kids get up. My kids get to wake up to a chipper Mommy that is full of life (and endorphins) instead of a groggy, half unconscious one which makes it easier to get my new kindergartener, and his ever so anxious little sister ready for their day on time. Not to mention when I wake up early specifically for my workouts, I don't make any excuses. Where as if I sleep in and say "I'll run later"...inevitably later never comes because, well, life happens and before I know it it's bed time. I know that this doesn't suit every one's schedule, for example my husband who has to leave the house by 5:30 am to be to work on time. Waking up at 3:30 am to be able to fit in a run, is not exactly realistic. So evenings work better for him, but on Saturday's he opts for morning runs too because of how effectively it kick starts his day. Find your schedule and routine, commit to it with no excuses, and make it work. It makes life, and healthy living so much easier once it's just another part of your daily routine! 

I made this fresh fruit smoothie the other morning and it was the perfect concoction to take in while inhaling the fresh, crisp morning air. Thus how it's got it's name....MORNING GLORY!

Ingredients:
1 c green grapes
1/2 banana
1/2 medium apple
1/2 mango
1 c ice cubes

Blend until smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment