Friday, May 18, 2012

Broccoli salad...but better!

I never cared much for broccoli as a youngin'...I didn't hate the stuff but I didn't go out of my way to consume it. As my taste buds have matured and changed during my clean eating overhaul I have grown to really love those "baby trees" as my kids call them. Not only have my taste buds. changed but my cooking abilities have developed as well so I know how to cook it just the way I like it! I like to throw broccoli in soups and salads. It always works great in my crock pot casseroles or steamed with homemade clean cheese sauce. Broccoli salad has become a top pick broccoli dish of mine! But wait... Broccoli salad? Isn't that loaded with mayo and greasy bacon? Not Nikki's...it doesn't need any of that to be absolutely delightful summer dish! So I started creating this dish as just a broccoli salad but I wanted it to be more of a main dish opposed to a side dish so I threw some quinoa in a pot and tossed it in to give it more substance. Then paired this dish with my simple honey mustard grilled chicken. Perfection!

Broccoli & Quinoa salad

Ingredients:
1 c plain non fat Greek yogurt
2 tbsp of honey
2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
5 c chopped broccoli
2 c halved green grapes
1/2 c diced onions
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c craisins
1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans
1 c uncooked quinoa
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Rinse quinoa, then cook quinoa according to directions of package (which is typically 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa over medium heat for 15-20 minutes). Set aside and let cool. Do this a couple hours before serving time .

Chop, dice, and shred everything about an hour before serving time. For the dressing whisk together yogurt, honey, mustard, garlic, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Toss remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss until evenly coated.

Lastly, gently fold in the cooked and cooled quinoa, then cover and chill at least 30 minutes (feel free to chill longer). Serve and enjoy.

This recipe easily serves about 6 people so it's ideal for a summer BBQ or large group gathering. Feel free to adjust portions or make substitutions to satisfy your taste buds. You could even reduce the amount of dressing a little and leave out the quinoa for a typical broccoli salad. Diced apples, raisins, grated carrots, crumbled turkey bacon, other cheeses would all be great add-ins. I'm a big taste as you go and adjust accordingly type chef;-)




What makes broccoli so great? Well for starters a cup of broccoli is only 35 calories. The high fiber content aids in digestion, the high potassium levels maintain a healthy nervous system and brain function, magnesium & calcium regulate blood pressure, vitamin K along with the calcium keeps bones strong, then that good ol' vitamin C, beta-carotene, zinc, & selenium all protect and boost our immune system; fighting cancers and ridding the body of free radicals. Talk about a run on sentence- that's a lot of awesome goodness! All the more reason to eat your broccoli folks.

Stay tuned for more on living an active lifestyle next time!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment