Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Taste the real rainbow!

I love colors! More specifically, I love the colors of nature! I love the pinks and oranges during a beautiful sunset, I love green grass (and seeing as I live in the desert I have that much more appreciation for it), I love multi colored tulips in the spring, and I LOVE fruits and vegetables of allll varieties and colors. They are wonderfully beautiful. Not only are they so fun but they are oh so good for you. I'm sure (or at least I hope) you've all heard the importance of eating a colorful plate. Each different color of fruits and vegetables contains unique health components (in the form of antioxidants and other nutrients) that obviously are vital to our own health. By incorporating as many colors in your every day diet as possible, you are increasing the different types of nutrients you are getting, which ensures you are getting ALL the things your body needs to stay strong and healthy. 

Examples:
*Red fruits and veggies- contain large amounts of nutrients such as lycopene and ellagic acid which reduce risks of cancers, lowers blood pressure, and eases arthritis.

*Orange & yellow- get their color from rich amounts of beta carotene, flavanoids, vitamin C and other nutrients. These work at boosting that immunity, fighting off cancers and harmful free radicals, lowering both cholesterol and blood pressure, while builds healthy bones and joints.

*Green- contain chlorophyll, fiber, calcium, beta carotene, etc. which aid in digestion, promotes healthy eyes and vision, and boosts immune system activities.

*Blue & purple- contain lutein, vitamin C, fiber, ellagic acid, and more. These help improve calcium and nutrient absorption, wards off cancer growth especially in the digestive tract, lowers cholesterol, fight inflammation, and boosts immunity.

Am I the only one fascinated by the perfectness of this? Why take daily vitamins when everything you need is all right here...together they work in perfect harmony to provide your body with everything it needs to function happily. If I catch myself eating a lot of certain colors I'll make a point to switch it up a bit on my next grocery trip so that my family has that balance!
So my new favorite super colorful meal is.....wait for it....THAI CURRY! I love the versatility of this dish...seriously, vegetable wise, ANYTHING goes. This was my first time ever making my own curry, and it was absolutely a success. 
Ingredients:
1-2 Tbsp of coconut oil
1 zucchini-sliced
1 c carrots-sliced
1/4 an onion-sliced
1 red pepper-sliced
1 green pepper- sliced
1 c thin frozen green beans-broken up
1 tbsp garlic- minced
basil (to taste)
salt & pepper (to taste)

2 c So Delicious coconut milk beverage (canned coconut milk with some water would work too)
1/3 c almond butter
2.5 Tbsp of Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste (this gave it medium temperature, adjust to get the amount of spice you like)
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground mustard seed
2 tsp curry powder (or more to taste)
1 tsp lemon juice

2 c of cooked brown rice


Directions:
Cook your rice (I did this in the rice cooker).
 1) Toss the first set of ingredients (your coconut oil, veggies, herbs), into a pot over medium heat and cook for about 7 minutes. 
2)Add second set of ingredients and simmer for another 10 minutes until flavors are well blended- taste test to ensure you have as much or as little spice as you'd like.
3) Once your rice is done top it with your vegetable curry sauce and devour. 

Step 1
Isn't it beautiful?!
Step 2
Step 3
I garnished mine with a few green onions
Simple enough right?! 

Summer is quickly coming to a close, Parker is starting kindergarten and I'm beginning to panic.  I want to enjoy these last few moments of summer by eating healthy, and being active. WHO IS WITH ME?!?! Get outdoors, enjoy nature, and the beautiful colors that surround it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment